Friday 8 April 2011

This Island Stole My Heart

30th January 2010

Mull shores

I simply hadn’t wanted to leave.  The engines of the ferry stirred beneath and the Craignure boarding platform slowly shrunk away.  My heart ached.  Whilst on shore I hadn’t fully realised it but as the distance between the shore and me continued to widen, I now knew that Mull had silently made her way in and found somewhere to settle with me.

It was the end of January – a month positively thought of for it is always a month of adventure and new places.  With her often bleak and freezing winds, every year, January brings with her another anniversary for my partner Chris & I.  January 2010 saw us having been together for 8 years and so, like all our other Januarys, we had celebrated by heading away from home and staying a week somewhere wild. 

Mull map

This year we had chosen Mull and she did not disappoint.  Never before had I seen a place that had such dramatic skies, rugged shores and challenging terrain.  We’d taken Chris’s rally-prepared Daihatsu Avanzato to take on Mull’s roads but as I’d sat in the passenger seat throughout our capers, I had thought of Henry garaged back at home on the mainland and told myself that I must bring him here someday.  So often the island had seemed so completely unspoiled by modern day clutter.  Much of the island was wild and empty - just the kind of landscape that inspired adventures tend to spring from.

On the back of a postcard I scribbled:

“Mull has been an incredibly beautiful and intoxicating meeting of dramatic mountains, rocky shores & a wild sea.  I have loved Mull’s wild & untamed heart and have watched the changing light and weather with curious delight.”

Postcard entitled Road to the Glen, Isle of Mull

Upon leaving Mull, I had written out the postcard to remind me why we ought to come back.  Back to the island that, when I hadn’t been looking, had stolen my heart.

See this Henry & I feature on the Standard Motor Club website:


See the photographs which accompany this Henry & I article:


Living in Scotland as a Standard car owner?  There is a local group for Standard car owners & Standard car enthusiasts in Scotland.  See this page for more info:



No comments:

Post a Comment