Wednesday 30 March 2011

Coolest Car on Campus

The feature below was written and published by the Standard Motor Club upon my return to Scotland with Henry.  Having joined the Standard Motor Club and then having excitedly announced my ownership of a Standard 8, I was asked to send in a photograph which showed me with my new and very first car.  This feature led onto the club asking me to write an article or two on life with Henry.  I think the club were intrigued as to why a young person had purchased a car from 1957.  The article became another article, became another, became a column.  This is where Henry & I all began.


Standard 8 finds a new enthusiastic owner

19th October 2009


The Coolest Car on Campus, by some margin!


Gillian and her newly acquired Standard 8, Henry

When it comes to discerning owners, Gillian Carmoodie is up amongst the best!

This student from St. Andrews University went about things in exactly the right way, and is a model for how a classic car should be bought.

First, she joined the Standard Motor Club.  The she joined our internet forum and already having decided she wanted a Standard 8 or 10, asked for advice on how to get a good car.  The advice was immediate, volumous and helpful so she soon knew how to buy the best car for her budget.

So, in a short while she made a trip to Birmingham, where she met Henry, the pretty apple-green Standard 8 photographed above.  Together they made the long journey back to Scotland.

In her words: "I'm delighted to tell you that our weekend was a success and that I'm now the proud owner of a Standard 8.  I adore my new car & am astonished that a car from 1957 was able to transport both myself and my partner a distance of approx. 400 miles between Birmingham and our home in Scotland without so much of a complaint or problem.  I'm very happy."

A little later: "One week into Standard 8 ownership & I'm still smiling all the time!  Today my partner Chris & I drove Henry along Fife's coast, heading towards the beautiful North Queensferry.  After your request for a picture of Henry & I, I decided that one of the nicest places around where we live would be under the grand old Forth Railway Bridge.  The Forth Railway Bridge is somewhat vintage (currently 119 years old!) and a superb engineering feat & so too is my Henry.  I thought they would look good together & I hope you agree.

Most folks I've told about Henry don't know what he is but yes indeed, people are very curious and encouraging.  I've found I can't leave Henry for any time at all before small bands of curious / adoring fans stand around him and ask me what he is.  On our way up to Scotland last weekend, many bikers gave us the thumbs up as they passed us.  I'm told that approval from motorcyclists is a very cool thing indeed.

I'm absolutely delighted with Henry and plan to look after him as best as I can. He is in need of a little cosmetic work on his paintwork and interior but mechanically he is absolutely sound."

Well done you, what a great story and a superb photo!  You now have the SMC award for the coolest car on campus!  I hope Top Gear see it that way!  Gillian has agreed to send me updates to her story as her ownership progresses.  I have asked for the low points as well as these highs.  Come back and see how they are getting on together.

by Phil Homer
Vice Chairman, Standard Motor Club


See this feature on the Standard Motor Club website:


http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/cars/eights/features/coolest.htm


See the 'photo-shoot' for this feature on Flickr at:


http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintagehighlands/sets/72157624923614364


Living in Scotland & a Standard car owner?  There is a local group up & running for Standard car owners & Standard car enthusiasts in Scotland.  Please see this page for more info:


http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/club/local_group_scotland.htm

1 comment:

  1. Looks-wise alone, yeah, that is a pretty cool car. Classy or stylish might be a better word. While older cars have none of the modern features of new models, they still rock in design.

    -Nicole Vickers

    ReplyDelete